Monday, September 13, 2010

Faith No More - King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime


My most favourite album of all time. So emotionally powerful, and just good fun.

Mike Patton kicked out guitarist Jim Martin, the member who wanted him in the band in the first place, and recruited his childhood friend, Trey Spruance, guitarist for Mike Patton's first band Mr. Bungle to bring chaos to Faith No More, as they combined FNM and Mr. Bungle on quite a few tracks, and expanded FNM genre-wise.


'Get Out' is the opener, such an angry song about wanting people to get away from him, because he's realized how different they are than him, and he wants nothing of it. The best part is where Mike starts screaming:
"I don't speak that language anymore
My blood is not that color anymore
My blood don't shine the same way anymore
I cannot deny it anymore"

'Ricochet' is a slower song about a person getting hurt, and how life changes when you're not the one hurting people, but rather, being hurt.

'Evidence' is such an amazing adult contemporary/blues song about a man who rapes a girl and feels no shame for it. Mike sings it with no emotion, putting himself into the man's place, and truly sounds like he has no regrets.

'The Gentle Art Of Making Enemies' is a song where Mike and Trey just go crazy together, Mike leading Trey's guitar with his voice, while singing about getting into fights.

'Star A.D.' is a jazz song. Not much to say about this one. But it's good.

'Cuckoo For Caca' is an angry song filled with Mike practically ripping out his vocal cords while singing. The screaming he does, especially when he does it live, literally sounds like he's hurting himself. Insane.

'Caralho Voador', portuquese for 'Flying Dick' is just a quiet bossanova song about how Mike used to want to run over people in California.

'Ugly In The Morning' is tribal metal, and everyone needs to hear this. It's just insane. It's amazing. It's loud. It's frantic. It's just madness. I absolutely love it. Mike's chanting is awesome.

'Digging The Grave' is one of the most straight-forward rock songs they've ever made. But it has some nice screaming by Mike in the middle of it.

That was the carefree part of the album, but here's where it just gets beautiful:

'Take This Bottle' is an emotional country song about alcoholism ripping a family apart. It amazes me how well they were able to put it together.

'King For A Day' is the longest track on the album, and possibly the most amazing, about feeling on top of the world, and then falling, and feeling alone.

'What A Day' is a song about one day hoping to choke back your feelings. High-paced.

'The Last To Know' is just epic. About a relationship that has failed, and apparently he thought the relationship was just fine. And he waits for the girl to come back, before deciding he can't take it anymore, and leaves. Emotional song.

'Just A Man' is the closer, and it is just... amazing. It's Mike singing about how he loves a woman, but how he'll never be good enough for her, because he compares her to a star, and he is just a man. There's a church-choir singing with him, and it just sounds amazing when they all sing together. Plus I love the lyrics to the chorus, and the ending is just amazing:

"And every night I shut my eyes
So I don't have to see the light
Shining so bright
I'll dream about a cloudy sky,
A cloudy sky
And every night I shut my eyes
But now I've got them open wide
You've fallen into my hands
And now you're burning me
And now you're burning me..."


10/10
Perfect.

Recommended Track(s): The Gentle Art of Making Enemies