Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Kyla La Grange Entices Us with a "Vampire Smile"

Kyla La Grange was not on my radar until quite recently, when I heard her haunting folk POP song Heavy Stone. But the big "wow" moment came when I heard her despicably sinister love song Vampire Smile. At once serenading & violently threatening her lover, Kyla instantly won me over with her vocals & especially her lyrics:

"Baby I need a friend,
but I'm a vampire smile, you'll meet a sticky end
I'm here trying not to bite your neck,
but it's beautiful

and I'm gonna get so drunk on you and kill your friends
you'll need me & we can be obsessed
 & I can touch your hair and taste your skin,
the ghosts won't matter 'cause we'll hide in sin"


I must admit that I prefer Kyla La Grange's twisted and beautiful music to that of her contemporary, rising folk POP singer-songwriter Birdy.  Kyla has all the ingredients; she is edgy & candid, kind & cruel.  Moreover, her visuals are rich & emotive; watch the seriously nightmarish music video for Vampire Smile below.

Prepare to be both moved & spooked.



It's been a while (a few weeks) since I heard new music that truly affected me (read my rant about disappointing POP here), but in Vampire Smile I finally heard something that irked me & inspired me. So thank you Kyla - you've saved me from my recent musical cynicism.  We look forward to hearing more from you.

Unapologetically,

Minna