Saturday, January 28, 2012

Apology


To Devon, as well as anybody who was offended by my post entitled, “It’s Time To Lose the Hipster ‘Tude,”

We’ve been receiving a few comments regarding the post, and I agree that I was in the wrong. When I wrote it, I was having a particularly bad day. I’ve been searching for jobs lately, and in the current economic climate, that is not an easy thing to do. I took out my frustration and sadness on someone with a fancy degree and journalism job (which is NOT to say that she hasn’t worked hard to be where she is; on the contrary, I’m sure she has) by finding something in her piece that wasn’t there. I misinterpreted what Devon meant with the words, “out of left field,” placing accusations on her that were not fair. That was not my intention, but now reading back, I understand that that is exactly what I had done. I doubt Devon, or any of you who feel offended, will accept my apology.  I probably wouldn’t if the roles were reversed. When one feels personally attacked, it’s difficult to overcome the sense of anger and resentment stirred up. However, I am sincerely sorry. In the future, I will be more careful to ensure that my personal emotions don’t cloud my view or affect my reaction to others’ articles, particularly when those pieces aren’t meant to be anything other than neutral and informative.

Apologetically,

Gregory