Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Misfits - Earth A.D.

misfits, glenn danzig, jerry only, doyle von wolfgang frankenstein, earth a.d., wolfs blood, die die my darling
Don't get me wrong, I love Misfits, they're horror-punk legends, and a lot of hardcore Misfits fans may want to murder me if they come across this review, because this is highly regarded as one of Misfits' best albums, but this is just another album I'm not all that crazy for.

They're back, with the mighty Glenn Danzig on vocals, Jerry Only on bass, Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein on guitar, and Robo on drums.

misfits, glenn danzig, jerry only, doyle von wolfgang frankenstein, earth a.d., wolfs blood, die die my darlingI personally don't enjoy this album much. It's mixed terribly, the production is horrible, and it just sounds a bit too raw for my taste. Some may like that, but I don't. Everything sounds too grainy, and due to the production/mixing, it sounds very, very quiet at times.

Another thing that kind of brings the album down for me, is that while the Misfits were kind of joking about the whole horror-movie image and lyrics, Glenn Danzig just sounds like he's taking it too seriously on this album, with songs about death, gore, etc, compared to the previous album when they talked about zombies, martians, and the sort.

There's not much I can really say about this one. If you're a hardcore Danzig-era fan of the Misfits, you may love it, but as much as I do like Danzig, I just can't get into it.

4/10

Recommended Track(s): Die, Die My Darling