Sunday, May 6, 2012

R.I.P. Adam 'MCA' Yauch

adam yauch, beastie boys, mca, cancer, death, died, deadAdam Yauch, or as most people knew him, MCA, was a member of the Beastie Boys who has lost his fight against cancer after nearly three years.

Honestly, when a lot of celebrities die, I pretty much feel nothing. MCA and his two buddies from the Beastie Boys, Mike D and King Adrock have always been my favorite hip-hop group, and they never fail to make me smile with their witty lyrics and just generally fun nature, but what makes it even worse for me is that MCA was always easily my favorite member with his deep raspy voice and great, well thought out lyrics that didn't always rely on being clever, but getting across poetic messages in the best way he could.

adam yauch, beastie boys, mca, cancer, death, died, dead"I went to get a loan and they asked my race, I wrote down 'human' inside the space, it's a disgrace how they try to debase, it ain't the bank's damn business how my lineage trace."

MCA wasn't just a rapper for some band people mainly remember as those wild kids that wanted to party, he and the rest of the band were deeper than that. MCA was what some may call a freedom fighter for the hip-hop scene, while as back in the early 90s, when gangster rap was talking about 'bitches' and the sort, he shot it down in his lyrics. He shot down racism, over sexualization of women, gun violence, and instead he promoted world peace and equality, in an almost Buddhist manner, like gaining good karma, the phrase 'what goes around comes around' comes to mind.

MCA started out as some punk kid playing bass in a punk-rock band inspired by bands like Bad Brains and the sort, and slowly moved into the hip-hop scene with his friends Michael 'Mike D' Diamond and Adam 'King Adrock' Horovitz to become the trio known as the Beastie Boys. From that he gained great success, but like a child, he never seemed to see the sky as the limit, because he kept pushing forward, directing movies and documentaries, and even producing a Bad Brains record, all while putting out Beastie Boys albums full of solid gold hits.

But much like how children grow up, beastie boys have to become beastie men one day, but MCA's personality never changed.

adam yauch, beastie boys, mca, cancer, death, died, dead"I've got more rhymes than I've got grey hairs, and that's a lot 'cause I've got my share!"

Rest in peace, MCA. No one can take your spot, and no one in their right mind would ever even think of it. You aren't a rapper that'll get forgotten in a few years, but forever be known as one of the greatest.