Monday, April 23, 2012

BIG Week For POP

Cover of Santigold's 2nd album, Master Of My Make Believe
I don't EVER remember this much POP going on in ONE single week, nor do I EVER remember feeling as EXCITED!!!

This week...

TWO albums are released!
1. Rufus Wainwright's 7th studio release, Out Of The Game, is an ode to '60s and '70s POP that's been produced by Mark Ronson, the man behind Amy Winehouse's masterpiece of an album, Back to Black. Stream the whole record, or select songs, for free, this week on NPR Music's website. 
2. Santigold's 2nd studio release, Master Of My Make Believe, is meant to be an inspirational album encouraging others to create their own realities instead of abiding by society's predetermined constructs. The record was produced by such masters as John Hill (Shakira's She Wolf & Waka Waka) and Greg Kurstin (Kelly Clarkson's Stronger and Lily Allen's 2nd album, It's Not Me, It's You). Stream the whole record, or select songs, for free, this week on NPR Music's website.

TWO singles are released!
1. Fiona Apple's long awaited return has come with the release of her first official single, Every Single Night, from her forthcoming 4th studio album, The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver of The Screw And Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do. Stream the song for free on Fiona's Soundcloud page. 
2. Little Boot's 2nd single, Every Night I Say A Prayer, from her forthcoming (as of yet, untitled) 2nd album is out NOW! Stream the track for free on Little Boots' Soundcloud page. 
...Is it just me, or is it actually a tad freakish (in the BEST WAY) that both songs have very similar titles?

ONE video is released (although we in American cannot yet see it!)
1. Sam Sparro, the man behind 2008's slick POP gem, Black & Gold, has released the viddy for his new track, I Wish I Never Met You, off of his soon-to-be released 2nd album, Return to Paradise. I hope this record brings him much success (even though I've yet to hear it). As I've said before, it's about time the world makes room for a flamboyantly GAY POP star/songwriter (especially one who's written and produced for other flamboyantly gay POP stars, including Adam Lambert).

And last, but certainly NOT least...

ONE song is FINALLY been released to mainstream American Radio!
1. Ellie Goulding's Lights will now be played nationwide on Cumulus Radio Stations (New York's Z100, Boston's Kiss108, etc.). We can all thank Martin Kierszenbaum, the head of Interscope's Cherry Tree Records, which distributes Miss Goulding's music Stateside. He got La Roux's Bulletproof to #8 on the Billboard Hot 100, so I really shouldn't be surprised, but I am, and more importantly, I'm super duper excited! Minna & I remember listening to Under The Sheets two years ago during our senior year of college. Oh how far our indie electronica princess has come. Congrats, Ellie!


Anything we're missing? Let us know, lovers. xoxo

Unapologetically,

Gregory