Monday, April 23, 2012

Deuce - Nine Lives

deuce, aron erlichman, hollywood undead, 9lives, nine lives, america, let's get it crackin', help meI'd like to dedicate this review to Dan, Ronald, Lenny, and whoever else I'm forgetting from the Aron Erlichman - Future McDonald's Employee of the Month page on Facebook. You guys are awesome. Also, shout-out to Kyle the Kitch from the Hollywood Undead forum, what up, blood? Here's the album, guys.

Well, it's finally come time for this. I've reviewed every single that's come from this guy, and now it's time to take it head on. No matter what I give this album, I'm sure someone somewhere will hate me for whatever reason. Prepare yourself, because we're going into uncharted territory. Also, that cover art is terrible.

DISCLAIMER (READ THIS): I'm not against Deuce. I think he's a jackass as a person, but I do like some songs by him. This review is based purely on the music, no cheap shots.

Former lead singer of Hollywood Undead is here with his debut album, with a rock/hip-hop sound. If you didn't know he was the ex-lead singer of Hollywood Undead, don't worry, he'll let you know.

deuce, aron erlichman, hollywood undead, 9lives, nine lives, america, let's get it crackin', help meSince I've been following Deuce for a while, and caught every single as it came out, this album only had four new songs for me, and none of them impressed me. It's obvious Deuce put out the best songs from the album to be the singles. I'm not going to judge him based on the fact that I heard most of these songs before, but still, bummer.

Along with the new songs are some songs he's had out for years, like 'The One', 'Gravestones', and 'Now You See My Life', which the latter is completely ruined by the new guest on the song, getting rid of Deuce's second verse. The first two are 'remade' with more guitar in them, which gives them a different, worse feel to them. He ruined three songs I liked by him. Score!

Deuce has potential, and on songs like 'Help Me' and 'America' he shows you that he's fully capable of making great songs, mastering his rapping and singing skills, but on the rest of the songs, his skills sound sub-par, and for all those wondering, yes, there are new Hollywood Undead disses on this album. Couldn't go an album without those, could we?

While those are great songs, and I'd love to see more like those from him, he put some really big turds on this album too, like the opening 'Let's Get It Crackin'' which I admit has grown on me a little, but is still terrible, and the track featuring Ronnie Radke, formerly of Escape the Fate and now of Falling In Reverse, appropriately titled 'Nobody Likes Me', which goes on way too long and gets boring. Why the hell did he make that song go on for so long? It goes absolutely nowhere and people will skip it a few minutes in on further listens.

deuce, aron erlichman, hollywood undead, 9lives, nine lives, america, let's get it crackin', help meAnother problem is lyrics. He put even more Hollywood Undead disses on this album, and it's getting really incredibly old. He also tries to sound 'hard' like he could shoot you for just breathing the wrong way, but he's not intimidating at all, and neither is his little collective of sorts 9LIVES. They don't sound like a gang or anything, they're just annoying. I get it, you want to rep your new band or whatever, but it just comes across so forced.

The guests on this album are pretty God-awful too. Travie McCoy, Ronnie Radke, and Jeffree Star just to name a few. They all do a mediocre job and just makes you wish the mic would go back into Deuce's hand. Sadly, his buddy Truth is on a few songs too, and just like always, he brings the songs down a bit. Deuce needs to stop putting his friends on songs just because he wants to make them happy, they're bringing him down.

There are some good points to the album though. Deuce's choruses on a few songs are great, and his rapping's gotten better. I'm not gonna say he's exactly a great rapper now, but there were a few points where he outdid what I previously heard in his older stuff. He has a lot of potential, no matter what anyone says, he just can't fully grasp onto it. Now, if he can learn anything from this album, his second album might be great. He has the potential and talent, now it's just time to find out how to successfully harness it.

I don't know what I expected. On one hand, I didn't expect much, but on the other, I expected a lot more from him. Something with more substance, something more entertaining. Still, I'm keeping an eye on him.

6/10

Recommended tracks: Help Me, America, Gravestones