Saturday, April 28, 2012

Lights - The Listening

lights, the listening, valerie poxleitner, ice, musician, saviour, the last thing on your mind, second goLights is a musician that I've always disregarded because of her fanbase. Something about her fanbase made me feel like she'd make pop music that'd bore me, like Katy Perry, or that her music relied on the "OMG GIRL POP" thing that's certainly become popular, and to be honest, after hearing this album, I feel really stupid, not because of the music dumbing me down, but for me so easily disregarding her for so long.

I actually got this album, and her second album back when I was on an Owl City kick and heard this was similar music, which it is in a lot of ways, but way different, and recently I saw this on my iPod and figured 'why not?' Great decision on my part.

Lights is actually pretty great and talented for the genre, while remaining perfectly accessible, possibly even more accessible and catchy than the female pop artists on the radio, and a lot more tolerable.

lights, the listening, valerie poxleitner, ice, musician, saviour, the last thing on your mind, second goHer voice is high without being annoying, and she really knows how to compose songs. That's also something good about her, she actually writes her own songs. But onto the actual music, I love this album. It's got a bunch of fast, happy songs and some slow, calming ones, reminiscent of her buddy Adam Young of Owl City.

What separates this from normal pop music goes even deeper than what I described up there. It's surprisingly well layered, features a bit of experimentation, and while some pop songs on the radio just catch your ear, a lot of these songs on here actually make me smile, mainly the calm ones. Another thing I love about it is how Lights' personality shows through it, such as in the song 'Ice', near the end you can hear her yell "ICE ICE, BABY!" I don't care what you say, that's awesome.

Her lyrics are pretty great too, having a certain child-like charm to them, and sometimes even crossing into a Christian zone that doesn't shove anything down your throat, just lightly hanging there, although 'Saviour' is pretty blatantly Christian. I especially love when she makes references to wanting to be a child again in 'Pretend', and when she just slips something totally unexpected into the song.

lights, the listening, valerie poxleitner, ice, musician, saviour, the last thing on your mind, second go"..And you're not alone, shut up about it.."

Catchy melodies, an unusual level of talent, a feeling of nostalgia brought on by some lyrics, and some overall great song writing makes me want to give this a solid 8/10. This album should stand as a point to those that believe that there can't be a decent, even great pop or Christian album. Great debut, and completely changed my mind about her. I can't wait to see what else she puts out in the future!

"You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid." - Lights

Recommended tracks: Saviour, Ice, The Last Thing On Your Mind