Thursday, June 16, 2011

Owsley - Owsley

will owsley, amy grantWill Owsley, best known by his last name, Owsley, was the guitarist for Amy Grant for a while. This music, however, is nothing like Amy Grant's. This music can be best described as soft rock mixed with some pop influence from groups such as The Beatles and the Beach Boys.

I know, I know, getting right into this review, because I really don't know much about OWsley as a whole except he killed himself last year, leaving behind a few children. Sad and tragic.. Sad for his family, and sad that the world will never see another good Owsley album like this ever again.

Well, except for maybe his second album, but I haven't heard that yet.

will owsley, amy grantThe tracks themselves are produced well, and Owsley seems actually happy to record some of these songs, as he sings about his life, and childhood. But the thing is, his voice is actually really good. It really fits the music, and it makes me wonder why he didn't sing any songs with Amy Grant. Or maybe he did, I really wouldn't know.

For everyone non-religious out there, he barely talks about God on this album at all. It's just full of recollections of his heart breaks, his childhood, and his life in the time period this was recorded.

There are some really good tracks on here, but nothing that will blow your mind. Some of the songs are probably going to get stuck in your head, and that's good, seeing as none of the songs are annoying.

The only bad thing I can really say about this album is that while it is good, it isn't always something I can really just listen to. On the first few listens, though, I loved it. I was hooked. This album is pretty good, don't get me wrong, but I dunno. It's something I can't put my finger on.

If you like Fall Out Boy or any other pop-punk bands, his music kind of has that feel to it, but calmer. Check it out.

7/10

Recommended Track(s): Oh No The Radio