Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The XX - Self Titled

the xx, romy madley croft, oliver sim, jamie smith, baria qureshi, alternative, indieThe XX are an indie-pop band made up of:

Romy Madley Croft – Vocals, guitar
Oliver Sim – Vocals, bass
Jamie Smith – Beats, MPC
Baria Qureshi – Keys, guitar

the xx, romy madley croft, oliver sim, jamie smith, baria qureshi, alternative, indieI will admit, I like a few songs on this album, I used to like more, but now it's just... What? If you like this album, good for you, go ahead and skip this review because I don't want to hate on an album you like. But for everyone else, here it goes.

Romy's vocals are nice, so are Oliver's, but they're always, I repeat, always practically whispering. Does this help with the music? At first I thought yes, but then it gradually got on my nerves more and more while listening, because they do have nice voices, but they just keep on insisting on whispering.

And it's a shame, because their female vocals (Romy) and male vocals (Oliver) would go quite well together if they sang a bit louder and with more energy..

Second of all, while some of the songs are good, like 'VCR', some of the songs in the latter half are just boring, they don't catch my interest. I know some of you will say "WELL THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION" but it is, isn't it? It's my blog and my reviews, I'm not going to steal someone else's opinion, I'm going to use my own. If it contrasts yours and you're offended, sorry, but feel free to drop me a comment on why you like or dislike this album.

Is this a bad album? No, no it isn't. I'd like to stress that, it is NOT a bad album by any means, just in my opinion.. Not a very good one outside of a few songs. See, songs like 'Crystalized', 'VCR', 'Islands', the intro, and maybe one or two I'm forgetting I can totally get behind, good songs in their own way, but the rest are just "Is this the same song..?" in the way that they sound alike due to atmosphere, themes, sequences, etc..

I just can't get past the atmosphere of this album. Take this as good or bad, but it does have a certain atmosphere on it that it can embrace you in.. It's just not one I particularly like.

Maybe this isn't my thing, maybe you'll love it. It just depends on who you are and what you like. It's not a bad album, per se, just one I didn't like. I do have decent hopes for a follow-up album, however.

5/10

Recommended Track(s): VCR, Crystalized, Islands