Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Reel Big Fish - Everything Sucks

reel big fish, everything sucks, aaron barrett, dan reganReel Big Fish.

Reel Big Fish.

REEL BIG FISH!

Are you down with the fish? If you are, you're down with the fish for life.

Well, maybe not, but it sounds cool to say. Reel Big Fish is a ska-punk band, and a DARN good one at that too. It's been scientifically proven that Aaron Barrett is the most awesome man alive. Don't believe me? Then as Aaron Barrett himself would say; Go to Hell!

reel big fish, everything sucks, aaron barrett, guitar, sell out, trendyAaron is the lead singer/guitarist, and to be perfectly honest? I don't really know the line-up that well on this album other than he's joined by Dan Regan, trombonist, and Matt Wong, bassist. They're not the only ones, but y'know, can't really be bothered to look up the others. Bite me. Also can't find a picture of this line-up so shut up.

One of my favorite parts of RBF has always been Aaron's lyrics. They go from humorous, to angry, to depressive, but they're always catchy.

But the bad part? I'm talking about the band's history as a whole. This is their first album, and it's far from their best. The production kinda sucked, and most of the songs on this album are re-recorded for later albums, which is great, because some of the songs on here are ska-punk classics, just a bit bad in sound-quality and performance. It feels more like a demo than anything else, and since a lot of the songs are on later albums, I really don't feel like I can go that in depth about this album.

I really can't rag on this album, despite that I don't like it, because these guys are awesome, friendly guys, and some of them (mainly Dan Regan) are on my Facebook friends list so I don't want to offend any of the fish (I LOVE YOU DANNY BOY) if any of them see this. I'm sorry, guys! You're great, just not feeling this album at all.

If you're new to RBF, don't start here. If you're already a fan, it's worth checking out, but you may be disappointed.

4/10

Recommended Track(s): Trendy