Saturday, October 29, 2011

Crank

amy smart, crank, jason statham, chev cheliosThere are some movies I enjoy which I don't think a lot of people can really get into, because they're too out there, too strange, or just too 'stupid' as people may put it. Crank is certainly one of those movies, and is just amazingly awesome to me. One of the best action movies I have ever seen.

In a nutshell, this movie is about a British hitman, Chev Chelios, who has been poisoned with something that will kill him if his heart stops keeping a steady, fast beat, and he has an hour to live otherwise. So Chev gets the idea that he constantly has to raise his adrenaline while finding the cure, and that sets the whole movie in place.

To give an idea of how ridiculous this movie is, without giving anything away (even though there's hardy any plot, and it's self-aware of this) Chev finds himself getting into fights, doing crazy Hollywood action stunts, and even taking drugs to keep his adrenaline going, but everything's done in a way that is humorous, but awesome.

chev chelios, crank, jason statham"I know what I'm going to have to do."
"What's that?"
"Kick some black ass."

There's hardly any plot to be found here, it's mainly going from point A to point B, but Crank has no problem with that. The whole movie is based around the action, it's supposed to entertain you, not make you think. There's a lot of eye-candy, and it's just a humorous joy to watch, if a little odd at times.

The actors are great and fully of personality, especially Jason Statham, who is just hilarious. The soundtrack is kinda 'eh' to me from what I remember, but I don't remember disliking it. It's been a while since I watched this.

Will this movie become one of your favorites? I don't know, but I sure hope it will, because this movie does what it tries to do right: Entertain. It's a popcorn movie, really. You just go in, you're entertained for the whole movie, and you leave feeling awesome. Some people will go "OMG WHERES THE PLOT THIS IS SO STUPID" but they're just jackasses. I think a lot of people can enjoy the scenes in Crank, but few will give it a try because of how ridiculous it seems, and that's a shame, because this movie is easily a 8/10 in my eyes. Not for the lasting effect, but the fact that it accomplished what it tried, and I was entertained. That's what movies are all about anyway, right? Entertainment? Ah well...

8/10