Sunday, October 16, 2011

JFF – Are You Hot or Cold For New Coldplay?

Holler!

Upon hearing that Coldplay was coming back with a fifth album, Mylo Xyloto, I was a bit apathetic. They were my go to band in high school. I would cry to their first three albums when things went wrong (which was often – can you tell I enjoy self-pity?). Somewhere down the line, though, the band and I parted ways due to a mix of many factors. It became super uncool to like Coldplay after 40 Year Old Virgin deemed their audience “gay” – a sensitive subject for me, as this was before I had come out. Furthermore, the group’s songs changed. Their mournful, confessional style seemed to fall by the wayside with the release of their fourth record, Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends. Chris Martin’s marriage to the elitist Gwyneth Paltrow didn’t help matters, either (although I must say I loved her on Glee. Still, no one can afford a $50 bottle of extra virgin olive oil, Gwyneth, so stop suggesting on goop.com that we buy one. Most of us don’t have millions of dollars to cushion the blow of a recessionary economy. Try being relatable.  K? Thnx.) Most of all, though, I grew up and so did my musical taste. Even their older songs didn’t satisfy me the way they used to.

When I listened to some of the cuts off their upcoming album, though, my interest grew a tad. Their current rainbow-colored graffiti aesthetic certainly doesn’t hurt matters, either. (Everyone knows I love my neon hues.) I didn’t adore the first single, “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall” as much as everyone else seemed to, but there was something slightly appealing about it. I like the song’s combination of instrumentals and synths. Some might say that the group is just hopping on the current electronica bandwagon, but Coldplay made the sound its own. That same combo is evident on their second single, which, once again, I don’t love, but am still drawn to. (UPDATE: After a day of listening, I actually quite like it!) It’s called “Paradise” (click here to listen). It has a hip-hop feel, which is totally unexpected, but kind of cool. Let us know what you think in the comments section!

Unapologetically,

Gregory


P.S. Those of you yearning for classic Coldplay won’t be disappointed with “Moving to Mars” (click here to listen). Also, Rihanna will be making an appearance on the track, “Princess of China.” We can’t wait to hear it when the album comes out on October 24th! (UPDATE: Someone has posted the track on YouTube. I expected better. Click here to listen. What are your thoughts?)