Friday, December 30, 2011

The Excellent Charli XCX


Girl, we love you. Your music is amazing.

Seriously, you have to check her out. She's Charli XCX. I reckon that's not her baptismal name. I don't know what it stands for and I don't care. The three songs of hers that I've heard glisten in the moonlight. This girl is Natalia Kill's little dark POP sister, except Charli's music is more sonically and lyrically adventurous. Her words are as graphic and impactful as Florence & the Machine's.

Start by listening to Nuclear Seasons. The production is from outer-space. It's dark, atmospheric, liquidy-smooth AND danceable. The percussion sounds like a balloon blowing up with 3 breaths and then, POP! It's a standard love song, but the lyrics are twisted, which leads me to believe that the girl who wrote them is, too. All the better. We like our POP stars with a side of crazy cooky goodness. The weirder the better.

Follow with Stay Away. This is my favorite song in FOREVER. It's gritty electronica with a serious dose of soul. You can feel this chick's pain. The melody and production are perfectly paired with the lyrics, which are, once again, poetically vivid - "You choke my throat / with words of wonder / You make it hard to breathe / Your love so cold / Just like an arrow / Pierced through my skin, I bleed."

Finish off with Wires. It's like Marilyn Manson's music with a hip-hop beat. She really plays with her voice here, and it's emphasized by the hazy production.

We can't wait for your album, Ms. XCX (is that how you sign your checks?).

Unapologetically,

Gregory

That black lipstick is glossy glam