Thursday, December 29, 2011

JFF - Jessica Lea Mayfield

If  "Our Hearts Are Wrong," I Don't Want To Be Right


Looking for a love song with just a tinge of bitterness? Jessica Lea Mayfield's "Our Hearts Are Wrong" should do the trick. I first heard it on one of my favorite shows, NBC's Parenthood. (Seriously, you HAVE to watch. It's soooo good.) A week later, my lovely friend, Ms. Jocelyn Ennis, reintroduced it to me and I couldn't stop listening. After a few weeks had past, I was in the mood for this very track but couldn't remember the artist's name until yesterday, when I found her album in Barnes & Noble and decided she deserves a JFF.

When I listen to "Our Hearts Are Wrong," I feel all warm and cozy, but taste some sourness in my mouth (as you've probably realized by now, my palate is musically programmed). The track is off her second album, Tell Me, which was produced by Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys. The song was written in the simplest of ways - Jessica just pressed play and sang whatever came out of her mouth at that moment. How magical? I just love it. It's the perfect little mix of POP, folk, and country into a tiny batch of creamy batter. Plus, the lyrics have this gloriously dark element to them:

Hate has brought me upThe stairs into your houseI'll not let hate be the oneTo make me naked for you

My self-esteemIs heating up the roomYou're intimidating as all hellBut I ain't scared of you

I know how you workI am just like youNo matter what you sayOur hearts are wrongOur hearts are wrong

Love has brought me downLike love's been known to doI try to deny with all my heartThat I'm in love with you
I don't really careYou knew that's what I'd sayThe only time I miss youIs every single day

I know how you workI am just like youNo matter what you sayOur hearts are wrongOur hearts are wrong

Our hearts are wrongOur hearts are wrong

I know how you workI am just like youNo matter what you sayOur hearts are wrongOur hearts are wrong

Our hearts are wrongOur hearts are wrong


Muah! Enjoy :)

Unapologetically,

Gregory