Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Lonely Island - Turtleneck & Chain

the lonely island, andy samberg, turtleneck & chain, jorma taccone, akiva schaffer, parodyThe comedy hip-hop trio is back with another album, and while I loved the first album, this falls short of what they used to be.

the lonely island, andy samberg, turtleneck & chain, jorma taccone, akiva schaffer, parodyI think part of what made the first album so successful was that it basically came out of nowhere. No one was expecting it. Now we're used to them, and there's no real shock factor anymore. Not that they were ever shocking, they were just out of the norm.

There's a few tracks I like on here, but the sad thing is, there's many more bad things I can say about this album than good.

While the first album had a few non-funny songs, that almost seemed like filler, and one or two that wasn't funny without the video, that's pretty much the majority of this album. A lot of the songs just aren't funny without the video, and there are some unfunny ones without videos that they just make me wonder why they even bothered to put them on the album. It's almost like they were rushed to put out an album, so they didn't put a whole lot of thought into some of the songs.

I know that in a way they're parodying music, but the bad thing is, they're too good at it. Songs sometimes sound exactly like what they're parodying: Annoying radio music. I can appreciate they do a good job at it, but the songs just become annoying as hell. I wouldn't listen to the songs they have in mind when making theirs, so why would I somehow be able to tolerate their light parodies?

If Andy Samberg somehow reads this, please, for the love of God, PLEASE listen to me: For the next album, a dubstep parody will not be funny. It won't be funny in the least. Please do not attempt this!

It just doesn't have very many memorable songs like the first album did, although 'I Just Had Sex' will probably be played over and over for years to come in college dorm rooms, in a way like "Hey, I remember this song!"

The first album is still pretty popular amongst people, but I can see this one fading away into obscurity, which is sad, because I love these dudes. I think they have the potential to be hilarious, because they have been before, just not now.

5/10

Recommended tracks: I Just Had Sex, Mother Lover