Monday, November 28, 2011

Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites

skrillex, sonny moore, dubstep, brostep, scary monsters and nice sprites, rock n roll will take you to the mountain, korn, path of totalitySkrillex, also known as Sonny Moore from the band From First to Last, is now a DJ by the name of Skrillex, who plays dubstep music, often called 'brostep' from hipsters because it's not 'true' dubstep or whatever. I don't really know, because I don't really listen to dubstep, so I'm not gonna comment on that.

skrillex, sonny moore, dubstep, brostep, scary monsters and nice sprites, rock n roll will take you to the mountain, korn, path of totalityBefore I get into this review, I have nothing against him, but am I the only person who always wants to punch this guy in the face whenever I see him?

No?

skrillex, sonny moore, dubstep, brostep, scary monsters and nice sprites, rock n roll will take you to the mountain, korn, path of totalityNow you probably do.

But anyway, it's a dubstep album, meaning it's mostly for partying, dancing, and all that crazy jazz those kids do. If you haven't heard of dubstep, you've been living under a rock, or you're just lucky.

This form of dubstep is what some mainly call 'wubwubwub garbage', and for some of it, they may be right, but there's a few nice tracks on here. I'm not the biggest fan of all the tracks, but the opener 'Rock 'N Roll (Will Take You to the Mountain)' is pretty rad. The only track I really dislike on here has to be 'Scatta', with a rapper on it, it just sounds kind of awkward, honestly, and I think a lot of Skrillex fans can admit that. It sounds kind of like being a white boy (such as I), and being thrown into a Jamaican hip-hop party, and not knowing what to do, so I just end up swaying awkwardly side to side, wearing socks with my sandals, and drinking Coca Cola out of a red plastic cup.

That pretty much accurately describes how I feel about that track.

Some of the tracks that I dislike are mainly the remixes. I just don't like them. They don't do anything at all for me, and sound quite close to the original track anyway, making me wonder why Skrillex even bothered to include them. None of them outdo the tracks they're remixing, pretty much, and on one or two, it sounds like all they're basically doing is changing a few things in the background, and changing the pitches of the drops.

I don't think he's as bad as people make him out to be, but I don't think he's quite the dubstep-God that people make him out to be either. Either way, this might be worth a try if you like dubstep and ignore the reception to Skrillex. Some catchy songs are to be found, along with a handful of 'meh' tracks. I do absolutely love his production, though, given how I've tried, and still try to produce, I think he's been doing a great job at it, and I think he has the potential to put out some seriously great stuff, if he moves even further and explores other genres. People may love/hate him now, but if he progresses forward, he may be a popular producer soon enough!

But I just hope he won't work with Jonathan Davis of KoRn anymore..

skrillex, jonathan davis, dubstep, brostep, scary monsters and nice sprites, rock n roll will take you to the mountain, korn, path of totalityPictured above: A man trying to make his band relevant to kids again by incorporating dubstep.

6/10

Recommended tracks: Rock N' Roll (Will Take You to the Mountain), Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites