Saturday, November 5, 2011

Countdown: 10 Reasons Why I Love Beyoncé

by Phoenix Tso (Gregory's friend)


10. The Gap Commercial Aesthetic of her Countdown Video
First, it functions as really clever shorthand for all of the eras displayed in this video, the mix of music styles, and the longevity of the relationship that she is singing about.
Also the West Side Story-like dancing and the pretty color blocking are just so damn enjoyable to look at.

I remember Gregory once saying to me (yeah, I know Gregory in real life. Jealous?) that he found the beginning of Countdown, which sounds like a ballad, the best part of the song, and the rest a bit disappointing. I am of the opposite opinion – I love all of those great hooks mashed together into one song, making it so nimble and energetic. The different styles also let Beyoncé show how strong and versatile her voice is.

8. Commitment
A Beyoncé song (and the artist herself) can come off as silly or crazy. Countdown with lines like “Me and my beau in my beau-coup riding,” (which hilariously sounds like “Me and my BOOF in my BOOF-BOOF riding) is no exception. But because she shouts/sings those words like they’re as profound as Keats poetry (though I guess nobody really thinks to belt out an actual Keats poem) makes me overlook how much that line plays to the lowest common denominator of materialism and intelligence.
Moreover, Beyoncé can make the most anti-feminist-making-light-of-the-most-important-civil-rights-figure song empowering. I’m talking of course about Upgrade U.

7. Flights of Fancy
I have incredible stage fright, my vocal range is miniscule, and my friends call me “Elaine” every time I dance in public. But watching Beyoncé perform in one of her great music videos, or even just listening to one of her singles, makes me believe that I too can one day sing, dance, and be as much of an exhibitionist as her.

It seems like a lot of people on the Internet are underwhelmed by this song, but those people are f***ing crazy. Party is the best song on 4, nay, the best Beyoncé song ever (with Sweet Dreams being a close second), with its smooth harmonies, soft-rock radio production, its equation of having sex with a guy she’s attracted to as momentously huge and fun as a house party, and of course, the Andre 3000 verse. This song is the best outcome of her going retro and bucking the trends for her current album, and is also the song that cemented my love for her.

5. Dramatizing the song so well in that video
I was around New Jersey in August, Bey. Why wasn’t I invited to Party at a trailer park, lounge around a kitty pool, and mow the lawn with you in a fur jacket?
And though I’m disappointed about the substituting of J. Cole for Andre 3000 in this video, I can’t deny that the guest rapper is pretty hot.

4. Her Ego
How else can you explain her revealing her pregnancy at the VMA’s, complete with microphone dropping and rubbing her belly in a bejeweled suit? Credit to her and Jay-Z’s charisma that the moment came off as unguarded and adorable instead of narcissistic.

3.  Okay, I’ve run out of reasons. So I’ll just pad out the rest with the aforementioned videos.
Countdown Video

2. Party Video

1. Sweet Dreams Video

Phoenix Tso thinks it would be great if everybody started counting down on their fingers like Chinese people do to Countdown.