Friday, November 11, 2011

JFF - Miami Horror

Looking for some Friday tunes?  Open your ears POP-lovers, because these Aussies are worth a listen!

Miami Horror makes synth-POP at its absolute yummiest.  I believe I first heard them on the radio in Croatia, and let me tell you, I have never looked back.  To new listeners, I would describe Miami Horror as a funkalicious Cut Copy with a twist of I Created Disco-era Calvin Harris - though we can definitely hear the influence of '70s and '80s dance-POP on their tunes (like Prince, Electric Light Orchestra, and so on).

Miami Horror's debut album, Illumination, is so damn groovy that even my sister (the one who refuses to listen to music produced past the year 2004) requested that she borrow it.  On Illumination the boys behind Miami Horror joined forces with New Zealand POP artist Kimbra (more on her to come) for the beautiful and successful song I Look To You.  Miami Horror also collaborated with indie-favorite Alan Pallomo of Neon Indian - namely on the nu-disco gem Holidays, a track guaranteed to get you dancing.  My personal favorites are Sometimes and Moon Theory (love the cowboy music video too), but the album is full of hidden surprises.

Following the success of Illumination, Miami Horror is definitely destined to join the ranks of Aussie POP stars Cut Copy, Pnau, Empire of the Sun, and Ladyhawke.  We hope we can we expect some new music soon!

Unapologetically,

Minna