Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Misfits - Famous Monsters

misfits, michale graves, doyle wolfgang von frankenstein, dr chud, jerry only, famous monsters
Yeah it's a cheesy looking album cover, it's intentional. Horror-punk legends the Misfits return with their second and sadly last album with Michale Graves. It seems their main goal here is to surpass the last album, American Psycho, and I gotta say, it came close.

misfits, michale graves, doyle wolfgang von frankenstein, dr chud, jerry only,I think I'm in the minority of people who have Michale Graves as their favorite Misfits vocalist, but that's okay, the only thing to feel bad about is the people who can't enjoy these albums because they think the Danzig era was the only good era of Misfits. To each their own, though.

The sad thing is, as much as I do like this album, there's not much I can really say about this album. It sounds like it could've been a double album with American Psycho. Of course the songs sound different, with new melodies and all that jazz, but it sounds like you could put all of the songs (or just the best ones) from both CDs on just one, and no one would know it isn't from the same album.

If you liked the last album, American Psycho, I can't see why you'd dislike this one. In fact, for why I like this alum, you may wanna check out the review for the album I just mentioned, because this is basically the same opinion, just not as strong, so with all of the things I like about this album aside, I'll jump into what I dislike:

The production, while still legions and legions above the Danzig era in quality, do sound a little bit raw sometimes, some fans may like that though. Some of the songs on American Psycho weren't exactly the best, but most of them were great, but it seems here there's just a few more tracks than American Psycho had that just don't interest me terribly, like 'Fiend Club'. I'm used to the Misfits being cheesy, but what the hell is that? That song is just.. Gah.

I like the album, don't get me wrong, nearly as much as I love the album I've mentioned several times in here (Can ya find the name?), it's just a bit less overall enjoyable than that one, but both Graves era albums are fun, and that's what the Misfits are about, not caring about the world, ridiculous lyrics, and just having fun with a smile on your face.

7/10

Recommended tracks: The Forbidden Zone, Lost in Space, Pumpkin Head